Culture and Leadership
Change Your Thinking
Developing a sustainable culture of vision-aligned, value-driven empowered people is essential to making a Lean/Agile organisation effective.
To do this for many managers in software-intensive organisations requires a switch in values that contradict their current beliefs about what makes management and leadership effective.
We very much like the leadership principles outlined by Sari Torkkola, CIO of Finnish defense and aerospace company Patria, finding them powerful and effective.
Flow efficiency over Resource efficiency
Learning over execution
Facts over opinions
System level reasons over blaming individuals
Customer value over organization-chart hierarchy.Sari Torkkola
Make no mistake: this is a challenging learning journey. It requires constant thoughtful action and reflection. It’s rarely a straight line, even given a True North direction.
Our experience is that it is most effective when treated as a series of safe-to-fail experiments. Baby steps that expand gradually. That take setbacks and learn from them while minimising risk.
Recent Writing about Culture
A simple framework which incorporates and supplements whatever methodology the organization is using. This framework is based on one foundation, with four related principles.read more
We believe firmly that the best way to teach Lean/Agile culture is to demonstrate it in ourselves.
This is how we choose to be:
- We are fierce, restless learners and sharers.
- We seek to make a difference in our customers, in our industry, in the world
- We are empowered in a high trust, high transparency, high responsibility environment
- We are hyperlinked, not hierarchical
- We are authentic and vulnerable to each other, empathetically supporting each others’ journeys through life and work